Monday, December 6, 2010

Patience

It's tough living with a child with ADHD. Knowing that she can't help alot of the things she does has helped me have more patience with her. We now have a "get ready" chore chart to help her remember to do things like brush her teeth and use deodorant - something I never in a million years would have though at 13 year old girl would need to be reminded of. If I do ask her to do something, I now remind her or check up later with a little more patience than I did in the past. If she wants to tell me a seemingly endless story about an unimportant (to me) topic, I do my best to stop and listen for a few minutes. I can tell that being more patient with her has helped reduce the number of conflicts we have. I'm not a patient person, so it's been hard and I haven't been perfect, but I'm thankful for baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment